DIY Easter Eggs ~ Paint Splatter Robin Eggs

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Can you believe it's almost the end of March already? It's crazy how fast time slips away. Last Sunday marked the official first day of spring and I had been counting down the days since the first day of winter, so to say I'm excited is an understatement. Spring is my favorite season. Blue skies, warmer weather, birds chirping, flowers blooming, green grass, longer days, thunder storms, it's the best! Hello Spring!

Today I was feeling young at heart so I decided to dye a few eggs for Easter, I hadn't done this in years. I wanted to try to and make something pretty and sophisticated with spring in mind. I love turquoise and I have splashes of it all around my house so I figured that would be the easiest color for me to work with, and who doesn't love a pretty blue robins egg? You could do this with any color that you love and it will turn out great.
First, I boiled a few eggs in plain water and then let them rest for a few minutes while I mixed up the perfect turquoise dye. I just used what I had on hand and it was just those cheap little bottles of food safe dye. I used 1 drop of yellow, 6 drops of blue, and 1 drop of green in about 3 cups of nearly boiling water and 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar. I used a glass Pyrex measuring bowl and dyed 4 eggs at a time for 5 minutes. Just make sure that the eggs are fully submerged.
I set them on a wire rack to dry for a couple minutes and then I started the fun part. I took gold, white and gray water based acrylic paint (the .77 cent stuff from the craft store) and shook them up so there was a little paint in the lid. I unscrewed the top and added a little bit of water into the lid, just enough to thin the paint out a little. Then I took a little cheap kids paint brush, a little bit bigger than a water color brush, and stirred it around in the lid to get some paint on the brush. Then I just started flicking and tapping on the brush and let the paint splatter onto the eggs. I rinsed out the brush and I repeated with each color until I was satisfied with the results. It took about 5 minutes to do and they dried really quick.
These were so fun, quick, and easy. And the best part was that it totally made me feel like a kid again. A sophisticated, 30 year old kid, with paint spatter on my counter tops ;) Next time I'll lay down some newspaper.
Have a great week, happy spring, happy Easter, and thank you for stopping by :)

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to try creating paint splattered eggs like these! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashlee, let me know how they turn out :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They were a lot of fun to make!! I like being crafty ;)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs