Fireplace Makeover UPDATE: Faux Wood Beam Mantel

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Last summer I whitewashed my old, orangey brown fireplace, made a how to tutorial and posted it here. The difference was amazing I absolutely loved how it turned out. It totally updated my living room but it still seemed incomplete to me. It needed a mantel. I looked up dozens of DIY tutorials and just couldn't motivate myself to make one. First of all I don't have any of the saws or equipment to do it. Second of all, I really don't know what I'm doing lol, most the time I just wing it and this did not seem like a wing it project!

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I posted a wanted ad in a local Facebook group looking for  someone who could make a faux wood beam mantel. A lady contacted me and said she and her husband could make it for me and the best thing was that I knew her! Holly is a few years younger than me, but we went to the same school and her parents were actually my teachers! Holly and her husband Rob started a small business, Rustic Pearl Decor. Click here to check out their Facebook page and see their beautiful custom projects.

I am more than happy to support small business's and help out my friends. And they did an amazing job! It it exactly and I mean exactly what I was wanting. If you know me at all, you know that I tend to be insane a little bit picky, so when I say perfection, I mean it.

Here she is all dressed up and ready to go...
My fireplace is complete! Now my living room feels complete. I just love it so much.
I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am to hang stockings at Christmas time, I have wanted to do that my entire life and now I can. And another awesome perk is that now I have more space to decorate!

'Let your light shine' I love this free printable from coloursaturatedlife
Aqua mercury glass votive and frame are from Michael's
Potted plant is from TJMaxx
Wooden candlesticks are from World Market
Candles are Marshmallow Fireside (seasonal) from Bath & Body Works
Clock is from Kohl's
Monogram Votive is from TJMaxx
'Start each day with a grateful heart' free printable from Pinterest
Frame and White Blossoms are from Michael's
Now the recessed lighting makes sense. Before it was just awkward and didn't really light up anything.
A new beautiful fireplace, mantel and a fresh coat of beautiful neutral gray paint on the walls to top it off. Yes I finally choose the perfect gray for my walls, Sherwin Williams Windstorm, but that's another story for another day haha! Rustic Pearl Decor also made me a matching floating shelf that I will share with you a little later.
Before...
After...
Such a huge transformation. It doesn't even feel like the same house to me. 

The mantel was easy to hang. We, and by we I mean my handy hubby, pre drilled the 2x4's and then while holding the 2x4 up to the fireplace and where we wanted it hung, we made marks with a screw through the holes in the 2x4 and onto the mortar. Then we pre drilled the holes into the mortar, using 1/4 masonry bits, where the screws were going to go. We bought 3 1/2 inch masonry screws and screwed them through the 2x4 and into the mortar. Once secure, we slid the mantel over the 2x4 and then using a countersink bit and 2 inch screws, we drilled into the top of the mantel and into the 2x4 below and then screwed it down about every 6 inches. This secured the mantel to the fireplace and it is up there really good. I'm pretty sure a life sized elf on the shelf could sit up there with no problem haha!
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my gorgeous mantel. Have a great day!

13 comments:

  1. Oh man!! That looks so amazing :) I knew it would, but dang it photographs well!!! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes it really does photograph well! ;)

      Delete
  2. Love it! Crazy good difference! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it so much! You need to come see it in person, it's even better <3

      Delete
  3. That turned out so nice...wohooo, I'm so excited for you, enjoy 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanna :) I am sitting here now enjoying my view ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I do too!! My favorite part of my house now for sure!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I'm not exaggerating when I say that this looks absolutely fantastic! I love the rustic decor that you've managed to capture with each of these pictures and I look forward to seeing you post more. I'm not sure what it is about a nice fireplace, but it always makes me feel like I'm somehow back at my childhood home.

    Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire And Outdoor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kinds words! And I agree there is something so 'cozy and homey' about a nice fireplace :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs