Pretty Paper Chain

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

What is is about counting down to something that makes it so exciting?

Most of us have made at least one of those countdown chains in our lifetime.  You know the one with construction paper or white computer paper and a staple connecting the ends? I always made them around Christmas, my birthday, or before any major vacation when I was a kid. It was fun to see that chain shrink down day by day as my anticipation grew for the next fun event around the corner.
Well, I decided to make a "pretty" version for my more sophisticated grown up taste. I have a fun little getaway coming up and this was exactly what I wanted to do to count down the days! I am excited to get out of town for a couple days and go visit my amazing friend, who moved away this summer, and who I miss terribly. Come back home Amy, Idaho misses you!
This is the perfect craft to do if your inner child is calling. Even my hubby commented and said that it felt like he was in kindergarten again! But this isn't your regular construction paper chain, this one is classy ;) And it's super easy and inexpensive. This cost me about $3.50 to make.
I bought some pretty foiled craft paper and regular printed scrapbook paper at Michael's when it was on sale a couple weeks ago. Even though fall is in full swing, I wanted these light, spring-y, pretty colors, for my chain.
The other supplies were things I already had. Scissors, glue, and a paper cutter. Actually this amazing paper cutter is my grandmas and it worked awesome, mine is still packed away in storage.
This could not be more simple. One sheet of 12x12 paper will make 9 strips.

Cut off 1 1/2  inches on one side of the paper.
You will now have one strip of paper that is 1 1/2 inches by 12 inches. Cut off 1 1 /2 inches from the end of the strip.
You will then end up with a strip 1 1/2 inches by 10 1/2 inches. Set that aside. Now take the paper that is 10 1/2 by 12 , and turn it 45 degrees, so that when you cut it you are cutting down the 10 1/2 inch side.
 Cut paper into strips in 1 1/2 inch increments.
You will end up cutting eight strips from that piece of paper and you will end up with nine strips total from the 12x12 sheet. The only waste is that little 1 1/2x1 1/2 square piece.
Repeat with all the rest of your paper until you end up with the amount of strips you need. I ended up cutting 90 strips.
I cut a few more than I needed because I glued a few pieces together so the links were pretty on the inside of the chain and on the outside. Of course that is completely optional, but it definitely made it extra pretty :)
The rest, is easy! Take a strip of paper and glue the ends together, and make a circle.
Take another strip, thread it through the first link and glue ends together.
Repeat until you are at the number of links needed for you count down.
These can definitely be used for more than a countdown. They are a fun craft for kids to make so they can decorate for holidays, they can be customized and used in a nursery, decorate the halls at school for spirit week. Just coordinate the colors with the season or holiday and have at it.
Don't be afraid to play around with different textures. I just love the glitter and pebble paper, it gives the chain a little bit of whimsy. I was going for something cheery, pretty, and girly, and I just love how it turned out.
Did you make paper chains as a child? What did you use them to count down for? Thank you for stopping by, I hope your day is sweet and happy!

2 comments:

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs