Building Our Home // Shingles, Texture, Fireplace, Doors, Closets, Trim, Paint

Monday, January 23, 2017

Let all the finishing touches begin. We are officially one, 1, ONE month away from our closing date! We are so excited to get the keys to our home and start the next chapter if our lives.

I have talked to several people who have built their homes, and everyone says that this is the worst part. The final month. The 30 days that seems to crawl by. Time stands still.

I have to disagree.

Maybe I am the exception and not the rule.

This entire experience has been awesome, and has seemed to fly by! And the last few weeks have seemed to go even faster.

All of the fun stuff we picked out just a few month ago are being delivered and installed. Walls are being painted, carpenters are doing finish work, and every day, what was once that big pile of lumber, is turning into our home.

We had horrible nasty weather for weeks, and I limited my driving, just to be safe, and for there to be one less car on the road. So I didn't make my daily trip to the house. Yes I really missed my daily drive and time spent sitting outside watching the activity a lot. But now that almost everything is done on the outside, the party is on the inside of the house (and I'm not going to sit up camp on the patio or peek in the windows haha.) So instead I'll stay out of the way and only try and check in a couple times a week. Try.

After all the tape had dried over the weekend, the texture was done and I just love it! I stopped by Tuesday, January 10th to check it out. I'm not exactly sure what this texture is actually called, but around here I've heard it called "Sun Valley" texture. Either way, I really like it.
Friday the 13th, I got a call from my builder that I needed to come over to the house and talk with the carpenter about how I wanted my closets and pantry designed. So away I went, whoo hoo! and I was so so so so happy to see shingles on my roof when I pulled up to the house. That had been my biggest concern. 
Then when I went inside I got another surprise...doors!! Those pretty 5 panel doors I have always wanted. ***In my old house I had the original 1960's flat panel hollow core doors, and I dreamed about having pretty doors someday :)
My kitchen is looking way better, especially now that all that tape and texture mess was cleaned up too!
My builder called early Monday morning and wanted to meet and go over the fireplace design with the carpenter. I happily obliged :) Thanks to Pinterest and weeks of preparation, I knew exactly what I wanted, so my visit was short. I was there long enough to see that the crown moulding, window and door trim were almost finished!
And then I couldn't help myself, I went back a little later in the day, the pantry, and closets were done and the fireplace was well on its way! Seriously the carpenter and his team are awesome!
I got a few ideas for the fireplace from Pinterest, and I think in the end I designed the perfect one. It's the focal point in the family room, and I wanted it to be a little more traditional, with craftsman qualities to it, not just a piece of crown moulding on top surrounded by tile. Warm and inviting, I can't wait to sit around it! 
Saturday, Alan and I took a peek inside and it was being painted! The trim and doors were all done.
Then on Sunday, the ceilings and walls were all done! Sub-floor for the bathrooms and laundry room were laid as well. We went with Sherwin Williams paint in Repose Gray, the trim is Incredible White.
That's all for this week. Thank you for your continued support and love <3 Have a sweet and happy day.

6 comments:

  1. Ah! It all looks so fresh! I love how sharp and clean a new paint job looks :) I hope the next 30 days just fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! !!I'm so excited for you, it looks so nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful home that is getting built for you there! My husband and I recently had a remodel done on our home, and when it was done all I wanted to do was sit out on the deck and fire up the BBQ so we could enjoy some well-earned downtime. I hope the rest of the project goes well and you guys are in your home sooner than later!

    Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire And OutDoor

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs