Building Our Home // Cabinets, Countertops, Appliances, Tile, Flooring, Stone

Monday, February 6, 2017

Cabinets and flooring and tile, oh my! Cabinets and flooring and tile, oh my! Cabinets and flooring and tile, oh my!

(I'm singing this to the tune of one of my all time favorite movies, The Wizard of Oz.)

The last two weeks have been such a blast! I am back to my regular, almost daily, visits, and I couldn't be happier. And the visits haven't just been 'because', it's because I am actually needed!! I go there to make important decisions like, which way my flooring will be laid and what I'd like for my tile design and layout ;)

Our builder Kent, calls me to double and even triple check that things are going the way I'd like them to. I'll say it again, I LOVE our builder! So in the morning, the time I usually get his calls, I know that I'm 'needed' for something important, and I run out the door, haha!

I cannot believe that the next blog post I write about building our home, will be after we sign papers and the house is officially our home!! I'm sure the next two weeks will go by just as fast as these last two weeks! At least I hope they do! I'm keeping myself busy with some DIY projects just in case, so that will help.

As soon as I can I will give you an official house tour, when everything is sparkling clean, and not coated with an inch of construction dust ;)

But for now, it is what it is. Now on to the good stuff! Pictures!

January 24th, we went to check out the house with my parents, and I just about blew the roof off from my squeal, we had cabinets! Pretty white cabinets. They still need to be finished out with trim, but hey, I'm happy! Oh and can I say drawers on gliders. I'm so happy with them! I will really appreciate functional drawers, just another thing I am not going to miss about my old 1960's home, nasty, sticky, hard to open drawers! 
The next time we went back was Sunday the 29th, and our counter tops were in, the fireplace hearth was done, and the flooring in the laundry room and bathrooms were done too.
When picking out my counters I had a choice of quartz or granite, and you can bet I did my research before I made my decision. I read and wrote many pro's and con's lists' for each counter top, and in the end I went with a beautiful quartz that looks like marble. I am absolutely in LOVE with it too!  It is called Venatino by Lucastone, it's in their movement series. I wanted something that looked like stone/marble without the maintenance.

The top three reasons I went with quartz over granite is:

#1. It requires NO MAINTENANCE. That means no sealing. Nothing. Just wipe it clean and you're good to go. It will stay looking brand new without any special care.
#2. It is non-porous. That means that it is very stain resistant. It is a completely solid surface that will not absorb spills, unlike nature stone. And since it is non-porous, that makes it more hygienic and clean, there are no little nooks and crannies for bacteria to hide in. My happy OCD-self celebrates big time :)
#3. Appearance. I got the look of marble, without the cost, plus I have all the benefits of it being quartz. It's extremely strong and scratch resistant, unlike marble. The color is consistent and there aren't any seams to worry about. Quartz is made up from 93% quartz stone and 7% resin.

I can't wait to get the protective film off of it and really see how beautiful it looks...
Tuesday the 31st, the stone for the outside of the house was installed. I kept with my color scheme of neutrals and plenty of gray :) Now we're just waiting on some warmer weather so the exterior can be painted. Someday....
The first week in February was all about that tile, 'bout that tile...hehe ;) I actually made several trips over to the house that week. I had to help figure out the layout and design of the master shower and kitchen. 
Thursday, February 2nd, the flooring in the main part of the house was laid. I went with an easy, low maintenance, waterproof laminate. The color is Fumed Oak by Cordillera. Again, I cannot wait to see it sparkling clean and really be able to see how pretty it is!
People have asked why I went with laminate flooring and not hardwood. This is just a personal preference for me. I had my own business and cleaned houses for a little over 3 years, and in that time I figured out what I liked and disliked. And just like my countertops, I decided to go with something that is easy, durable and needs no maintenance. I had laminate floors in my old house and I loved how easy they were to care for. I absolutely love the look of hardwood, it's timeless and beautiful, but the thought of having to maintain them, completely turns me off. I'm kind of a lazy girl, so for me, the less work the better. Plus these are a waterproof laminate, so I don't have to worry about them tweaking or bubbling if we do end up with a leak someday.
  
Friday, the counter top in the laundry room was installed. Yet another thing I am going to love, an actual laundry room! I don't even know what I'm going to do with all that counter space. Oh ya probably fold clothes on it, haha!
Saturday the 4th, all of our faucets, sinks, toilets were in. The water was turned on and all the plumbing was checked and working. Some of our appliances were delivered and installed too!
The next couple weeks are going to be the final stretch! Everything on the inside that needs finished will be done. Tile with be grouted, doors will be hung, cabinet hardware will be installed, trim work will be finished, paint will be touched up, carpet will be installed, lighting will be hung, the final move-in cleaning will happen, our finial walk through will be completed, we will have a home inspection done, and then lord willing, we will sign papers, get the keys, and start moving in!

*Just for those who are asking. All of the outside landscaping work and exterior paint will be completed when the snow is finally gone and the sun is shining again. Come on Spring, hurry up!

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing our excitement. I hope you have a sweet and wonderful day :)

29 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Love your shower so much that tile makes it look so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post,
    great photographs too.
    <a href="http://www.themobileflooringshowroom.co.uk>Flooring Glasgow</a> Contractor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great post, I am very impressed by this intresting information.

    stone top vanities for bathrooms

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is typically done as per ecological security laws. Consuming, covering or sterilization can arrange off hurtful or toxic parts.https://homyden.com/presenting-best-electric-pressure-washers

    ReplyDelete
  5. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. Home Improvements

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post going to do my parents floors after flooded everything they don't want all carpet anymore.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
    Buy wall and floor tiles online in Vijayawada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Wow all the posts are very informative for the people who visit this site. Good work! We also have a Website. Please feel free to visit our site. Thank you for sharing.
    Stone Bath
    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The writer has made this blog in the most stunning way. Mind boggling!
    Man with van services

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Go with our site picbear to see more information about instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There you can download for free, see the first of these data. toilet valve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep the balls rolling!! Nice posts you have given for us.
    go

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I read your article your blog is amazing. Your content is informative and helpful.
    We also sell Air Conditioners
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I read your article your blog is amazing. Your content is informative and helpful.
    We also sell Air Conditioners
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing article your work is great I learn too much from your blog. Your content is very helpful and informative
    visit our site
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing Blog your article is too informative. Your way of presenting is awesome and helpful.
    visit our site
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. A good article saves this in your future. I hope that you are doing everything possible to allow yourself and make the future bright.
    Buy Best Abayas in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have explored engineered web diaries now this one is genuinely basic. Your substance is enlightening and obliging, you shared an amazing article.
    please write more about Air conditioner Price
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great device really inspired form it. The article was also well written. If want to buy devices or appliances like this visit the Best Online Shopping Site. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm happy to see the considerable subtle element here!. 먹튀검증커뮤니티

    ReplyDelete
  21. its very informative blog thanks for sharing this kind of information. Also check Apple Stock Price

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it to recommend air conditioner to the users. Where they can crawl Exciting Products Super Star Jackets Platform is providing 100% air conditioner price in pakistan All products are available in Feasible Prices The best seller inverter ac Direct is offering amazing to its customers. You can Click Here to get exciting dc inverter ac Offers

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very Informative and creative content,For Best inverter ac price Visit Us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a blog with full of information i also want to read more articles and visit us if you want to know ac price in lahore.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Before you hire a stone polishing Sydneyservice, you’ll need to take good care of your stone. You can use a soft-bristled broom or a dust mop to remove dirt and debris from the surface of the stone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such Impressive & Informative and creative content, For Best inverter ac price Visit Us. For Prices Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing the blog. This is soo amazing and useful Information.please keep it up.

    Tile Flooring
    Glass Tile
    Marble slab
    Wall Tiles
    Porcelain Tile Flooring

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs