Reduced Fat Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A few years ago I worked for a real estate company for about 5 years, and it just so happened to be about 5 minutes from the mall, super dangerous convenient. Often, and I mean very often, I would go to the mall on my lunch break for some food and shopping.

There used to be a place I went all the time called Mrs. Powell's. They had the most delicious homemade cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, bread bowls, and soup. I would always get soup in a bread bowl, that was my go to lunch option, especially in the cooler months. It was amazing food, and very filling.

I tried a few of their soups, but I always went back for their creamy chicken and wild rice, it was my favorite.
Fast forward a few years and unfortunately that quaint little place went out of business and now it's a Cinnabon. I cried a little on the inside, I'm not going to lie. I looked everywhere for a replacement and I never found one.

Anyways, a friend of mine on Instagram posted about fall soup, and she wanted everyone to share a picture of a soup they had made. I instantly was taken back to that delicious creamy chicken and wild rice soup and knew I had to try and make a modified version of the original, that had less fat.
As some of you know, I have gallbladder issues, which is easily aggravated by fat, among other things. My ability to eat more is definitely better than it was a couple years ago, slowly but surely, it is healing.

Anyways, after a little trial and error, my friends, I did it! I made a soup worthy to compare to Mrs. Powell's. I am so insanely happy with how it turned out! I posted a picture on IG, tagged the friend who started this fun fall soup post, and immediately started writing this blog post. I had to get it written down before I forgot it ;)

This is the perfect soup for these cooler months!
It's pretty easy and only takes about 30 minutes to make. Which is another huge win in my books! I like 30 minutes meals :)

Here's what you'll need...
 Here's how to make it...

Chop the onion, celery and carrots into small pieces. *I leave my onion in one large chunk attached by the root so I can take it out later. I can't eat the onion but I can have the flavor from it! I also only chop up about half the celery and leave the rest in just large pieces so I can take those out too, I am able to eat some celery now. But by all means chop everything up and leave them in there! I would if I could.
Add the chicken broth, water, rice, cooked chicken, and vegetables to a large pot and over medium high heat bring it to a boil. Cover and turn on low to simmer. *I make my own chicken broth using legs and thighs. Then I just add a couple breasts to the pot and use those for the shredded chicken.
Next you're going to make a roux. Melt the butter, salt, black pepper, and rice seasoning together. Stir until it's mixed together and bubbly.
 Whisk in the flour and cook just about a minute over medium high heat.
 Slowly whisk in the milk and cook a couple minutes until it boils and is free of any lumps.
 Add the creamy gravy to the other pot that's been simmering over low. Turn up the heat to medium low, stir, and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
 OPTIONAL: IF SOUP ISN'T THICK ENOUGH. Mix the cornstarch and cold water together and add to the simmering soup. Stir together and cook another minute and then serve!

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups Chicken Broth 
  • 1 cup Water
  • 2 large Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
  • 1/2 cup Celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup Carrot, chopped
  • 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 box Long Grain and Wild Rice
  • 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
  • 1 tsp of dry flavor pack from the box of rice
  • 1/4 cup Flour
  • 2 cups 1% Milk
  • (OPTIONAL) 2 tbsp cornstarch, I used potato starch
  • 1/4 cup cold Water
Directions:
  1. Chop the onion, celery and carrots into small pieces.
  2. Add the chicken broth, water, rice, cooked chicken, and vegetables to a large pot. 
  3. over medium high heat bring it to a boil. 
  4. Cover and turn on low to simmer.
  5. Next make a roux. Melt the butter, salt, black pepper, and rice seasoning together. 
  6. Stir until it's mixed together and bubbly.
  7. Whisk in the flour and cook just about a minute over medium high heat.
  8. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook a couple minutes until it boils and is free of any lumps.
  9. Add the creamy gravy to the other pot that's been simmering over low. 
  10. Turn up the heat to medium low, stir, and let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  11. (OPTIONAL) Mix the cornstarch and cold water together.
  12. Add the cornstarch slurry to the simmering soup, stir together, and cook another.
  13. Serve and enjoy!
This is already my favorite thing to eat. I think I've made it 4 times already! I can't help myself :)

Let me know what you think if you decide to make it. Thank you so much for stopping by, I hope you have a sweet and delicious day ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs