2018 Cleaning & Organizing Challenge Week 3 ~ Beauty

Monday, January 22, 2018

Well how did you do last week? Are your closets and dressers lighter and organized? I sure am loving what I got done the last couple weeks and that has just kick started me to keep it up.

This week we are going to be working in the bathroom area, or where ever you keep your beauty related items. Makeup, skincare, nail care, body & hair products. This week will be a little bit different than last week. Instead of putting everything beauty related in a pile, you will work on just one category at a time. It is more manageable that way and believe me, if you put every single beauty related item in one spot, it's going to take you awhile to get through it! And you're going to need a large area for it to all go. How can such small items accumulate so fast and take up so much space?!
Week 3 Challenge: Beauty
Start off by gathering everything makeup related. Check your coat pockets, purses and cars! Discard anything that is expired, you don't love, or don't use anymore. FYI...Sunscreen and products that contain sunscreen, like face lotion, expire every year, so if you're still storing it from last summer, it's probably past it's expiration date or getting close and it's time to be tossed. Check the dates.

I set up a folding table in my bathroom. "I, Toni, have a beauty product hoarding problem." Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right?
One rule, don't feel guilty when you get rid of items. We've all been there, you have something that irritates your skin, wasn't the right color, and you just don't love it anymore, but you spent some money on it...don't store it, throw it away! Seriously, it's okay! You really aren't going to use it again and trust me you won't miss it when it's gone. Plus you'll love the extra space :) Donate/Sell anything that is new, the wrong shade, something you didn't like or use, or something that someone else could use. Keep your favorites things! Wipe down all the products and the areas they are stored in.

My favorite way to store my makeup is in this little Sterilite 5 drawer container from Wal-Mart for around $9. Those beautiful acrylic drawers/organizers, that are in every YouTube beauty guru's videos, are just way out of my price range, so this is the perfect alternative for me and it does a great job. My brushes are in a little divided acrylic holder that I found at TJ Maxx for $5. Make sure and clean those brushes!

I have my makeup organized by drawer, in the order I put in on. First drawer, moisturizer, primer, foundation, concealer. Second drawer, setting powder, bronzer, and blush. Third drawer, eyeshadow primer and eyeshadow. Fourth drawer, eyeliner, curler, mascara, eyebrow pencils, and powder. Fifth drawer, lip color, gloss, and balm.
Now when you're done with makeup, do the same thing with your skincare, including body lotion, sunscreen, insect repellent, body wash, soap, perfume, etc.
Discard. Donate/Sell. Keep. Clean. Repeat with the next category and so on.

Hair products. Brushes, bobby pins (if you can find any haha), hair bands, clips, hairsprays, shampoos, conditioner, deep treatments, styling tools, etc.
All of my hairsprays, treatments and oils now fit inside this basket. I store it under my sink.
 Tools are in a drawer under my sink, along with my manicure items and lint rollers.
Brushes, clips, and bands and in another drawer, as well as my most used skincare items.
Nail care. Nail polish, clippers and tools, files, cuticle treatments, pedicure supplies, soaks, scrubs, etc.
I got rid of enough that now all of my polish and remover fits into one basket. My pedicure stuff is all in a basket in my closet with other excess items.
Miscellaneous. Go through and declutter the rest of your body care items. Deodorants, toothpaste, shaving items, first aid, eye care, pretty much everything that you use in the bathroom on a daily basis (excluding cleaners).
These categories are always some of my favorite to declutter and organize! I just love it when everything is clean, easy to find, and organized when I go to get ready in the mornings :) And I got rid of a ton!

This is probably the second most time consuming category for me, but it feels so great when it is done!! Keep it up you guys!

Any excess products that I have I store at the top of my closet in my favorite baskets from Target <3 Travel sized items and all of my first aid products are in one basket. Extra, makeup, skincare, nail care, and haircare items are in another. The other basket has my handbags in it.
*Extra Credit: Don't forget to deep clean your bathrooms! It's not spring cleaning without a little cleaning ;) Wipe down all your baseboards, doors, light switches, and cabinets. Wide out drawers and cabinets. Wash the walls, especially around the toilet area. Launder the rugs and shower curtains. Scrub the floors, toilets, showers, sinks, tubs, everything, and places in-between too.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope that this will help you get motivated to clean up and organize. See you next week with the next challenge! Have a sweet and happy day!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! lol I would probably be surprised if I pulled out all my stuff too lol OH I do know I have quite the shampoo collection!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs