Grilled Malibu Chicken

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

If you think you know Malibu Chicken, think again. This will knock your socks off! I'm sure you know the yummy breaded kind of Malibu Chicken but this is sooo much better.


The first time I ate this was 8 years ago. I was at Carmela Winery in Glenn's Ferry, Idaho, it's since changed names and is now Crossings Winery. Their chicken was severed on a homemade croissant and it was divine! I was so crazy about it I asked our waiter for the recipe and the chef actually came out and gave it to me! I couldn't believe it, I was so grateful! Recently my husband and I went back to visit and even though the name had changed the menu was still the same! So I ordered it again and it tasted just the same as I remember and just like the ones I've been making at home.

This is packed full of flavor and has yummy layers of sweet pineapple, creamy Swiss cheese, salty ham and juicy chicken.

Yield: 6 chicken breasts (I only make two so I just cut the recipe down accordingly)
Prep time 20 mins + 2 hours for dry marinating
Cook time 25 mins

The first thing you do is grab a gallon storage bag and add 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp oregano, and 1/4 tsp garlic powder



Put in your thawed boneless skinless chicken breasts and shake them around until the seasoning is evenly distributed


Then grab a meat tenderizer. I love this one from OXO. Pound out each breast until they are all about the same thickness, around 1/3 of an inch (I use the individually wrapped Kirkland brand breasts from Costco.) Put the storage bag on a plate and place in the fridge and let it hang out for 2 hours.


After the 2 hours are up I go turn the grill on high and let it get hot. While that's heating up grab a bowl and melt 2 tbsp salted butter. Then open up the can of pineapple rings and drain the juice into the bowl. Keep the pineapple for later


Then add I tbsp yellow mustard, 1 tbsp honey, and 1 tbsp molasses




Next add 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 tsp chili powder, a 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper


Mix together thoroughly with a fork


By now your grill should be nice and hot. Clean it well with a metal brush and turn the heat down to medium. Take the chicken out of the ziplock and place on the grill and let it grill about 5 minutes and then take a basting brush and coat the top side of the chicken. Cook another 5 minutes and then turn the chicken and baste the other side. Keep basting every few minutes until the chicken is almost done. Depending on the thickness of the chicken it should take anywhere from 15-25 minutes. Make sure chicken is cooked throughly through and is reaches an internal temperature of 165 degree Fahrenheit.




A couple minutes before the chicken is done put your pineapple rings on the grill for a minute and then turn them over


Next layer a piece of ham on top of the chicken, followed by a piece of cheese, and then two pineapple rings. Turn the grill on low and close the lid. Let it cook just until the cheese begins to melt





Mmm, melty cheese! That's it, you're finished. Enjoy :)
You can eat it as is, on a croissant, or even on a sandwich thin.


This is optional but I always make it with this chicken.

Malibu dipping sauce

1 tbsp miracle whip
1 tsp yellow mustard
Just mix it together and serve with the chicken.



4 comments:

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs