DIY Handmade Christmas Trees

Friday, November 27, 2015

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I know that I sure did. We spent all day with family, 18 of us gathered at my parents house, the food was a-m-a-z-i-n-g, we went on a nice walk to checkout my cousins new house they're building, and then we ended the day with a nice meeting at church. Such a blessed and beautiful day!

So now that it's officially acceptable to start talking about Christmas ;) I wanted to share with you a few adorable Christmas crafts I've been making. I've been crafting like crazy lately and my dining room table, floors, living room end tables, whole house office looks like a bomb went off! Last week my cousin and I threw our friend a 30th birthday tea party, you can see that here, and I made some super fun decorations for it. A big group of ladies are getting together to make reversible wooden blocks next week so I've been prepping for that. And then of course I have been decorating for Christmas and looking at Pinterest for some inspiration, and I found it! Just look at these adorable trees I made!
I am in love with my adorable handmade trees! They were so much fun and they have so much character. This entire project only cost me $5.75!
While browsing Pinterest I came across these adorable DIY handmade Christmas trees at beautifulmatters.com and I knew I just had to try and make some of them. Hers look perfect and her tutorials are great!
Photo by Shauna Mailloux from beautifulmatters.com
She broke up her tutorials up into 3 parts, to see each one please click Part 1Part 2, and Part 3. And her tip to use cereal boxes as the cones is genius! And FREE!

I am definitely giving her the credit for these, there's nothing too inspiring or different that I did to make mine.  I just wanted to share how mine turned out, and let you know the supplies I used to recreate these and what they cost. I did make up a few of my own that I thought would be cute and I will share those as well.

These are the 5 trees that I recreated from her original tutorial:
*Tinsel Tree ~ Super cute & easy!! I found a 6ft strand of thin silver garland at Target for $1. I wrapped it from top to bottom securing the ends with hot glue and a couple dabs along the way. Topper is a jewelry bead. $1
*Feather Tree ~ I bought a bag of feathers at Micheal's 50% off for $1.10, this was a total pain to make LOL. I had feathers and fluff everywhere! I kinda just threw it together and definitely didn't follow the tutorial too closely, I just wanted the mess to end! But it still turned out cute! The topper is a jewelry bead. $1.10
*Feather Boa Tree ~ I love this one and it was easy. I bought the 6ft mini feather boa at Micheal's 50% off for $1.65. Starting at the top I  hot glued it and started wrapping it towards the bottom gluing as I went down. I secured the end with glue and that's it! The topper was made from little sparkly styrofoam balls glued together. $1.65
*Dictionary Page Tree ~ I have a few old books just so I can craft with them, so I used book pages. This is one of my favorites and it was the most time consuming too. Figures lol! Topper is a Christmas pick. FREE
*Hemp Twine Tree ~ I used some Jute I had I my craft hoard. I just wrapped it from top to bottom, securing the ends with  hot glue. Then I added in a strand of white & silver twine for a pop of color. Topper is just another jewelry bead. FREE
These are the 5 DIY trees that I created, I just love them:
*Glitz & Glitter Tree ~ This is the easiest one of all. I found this glitter scrapbook paper at Micheal's for $1. I rolled in into a cone shape, hot glued the back and BAM! Instant Glitz & Glitter Tree :) Topper is a pom pom. $1
*Champagne Sparkle Tree ~ This is another easy one! $1 embossed scrapbook paper rolled into a cone, glued, and then wrapped with a thin piece of wired tinsel. Topper is a Christmas pick. $1
*Sparkling Snow Tree ~ Epson salt can be used in more ways than just in the bathtub. I used white acrylic paint, elmer's glue & epson salt. I quickly painted the cone using a foam brush and let it dry 5 minutes. Then I covered the cone with a thin layer of glue, thinned out with just a little water, I used the same foam brush I used for painting, I just rinsed it out first. I poured my salt onto a paper plate and then I rolled the cone into the salt. Let it dry and you have yourself a Sparkling Snow Tree. Topper is a pom pom. I had all the supplies for this so it was FREE.
*Lace Tree ~ I sew, therefor a have tons and tons of ribbon, lace and all that fun stuff. I found a piece of lace just the right length to wrap around a cone. I kept the base the neutral cardboard color so it had a little contrast. Starting at the bottom and working my way up,  I glued and wrapped it until I got to the top and glued the end to secure it. Topper is made out of styrofoam balls glued together. FREE
*Ruffly Coffee Filter Tree ~ I have a Keurig now and I have a bunch of coffee filters laying around that I don't use, except for crafting. This one was really fast and easy and another of my favorites. I took a few, like 5 or 6 filters, laid them flat and made a cut through the ruffle side to the center. I then cut out the center following the circle. What you're left with is a long ruffly ribbon. I cut that in half so that I had two long ribbons. I then separated out each filter, you should have 10-12 ribbons now, and then starting from the bottom I glued my way around and up to the top. I slightly overlapped the next ruffle with the previous one. I tired not to be too precise, I think it looks better when it flows a little more organically. There you have it a pretty Ruffly Coffee Filter Tree. Topper is a bead. FREE
There you have it 10 DIY cone handmade Christmas trees! And if you think that you counted 11 trees you are right. There are 11 trees in the first 2 pictures. This beauty was not handmade, but bought at Target, I just couldn't resist it's sparkly glittery-ness :) Target you win again!
I hope you enjoyed this post! It was a lot of fun to make these trees and it's probably my favorite Christmas DIY project I have ever done. Let me know if you try and make any of these! Happy decorating and DIY-ing! Have a fantastic day!

5 comments:

  1. Haha! I kept eyeing that one from Target! I was trying to figure out how you made it ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's too funny! It is so stinking cute, I'd definitely recommend buy it, I think making it would be hard :)

      Delete
  2. Hey!! These handmade Christmas trees are looking adorable. You really did a great job in arranging them here. Want to have something best like this for my party too that will take place at one of New York Event Venues as honestly loved these ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs