2016 Clean Home & Organizing Challenge Week 7 ~ Cleaning out the Closets

Monday, February 15, 2016

Week 7 ~ This week we are going to be cleaning out out closets! This is one of my favorite things to do, and since I did the big Kon-Marie clean last year, it's pretty easy for me to keep my closets organized and filled with just the things I really love.

This week we are going to work in categories, so this is not just limited to the closet. For example, Monday when we work on our shirts and tops, if you keep sweaters or jackets in your dresser or another closet, clean those out as well. Depending on how many clothes you have, how big your closets are, or how long it's been since you've last cleaned out your closets, each category could take as little as 5 minutes or the whole 15.

My suggestion is to work quickly. If you know you don't like a certain top, or it's worn out, or it doesn't fit you anymore, get rid of it. Just go with your first feeling or reaction towards that article of clothing. If it's something that you love and it makes you feel good when you are wearing it, keep it, if it's not, put it in a bag to donate.

I have the one in one out rule. If I buy something new, I get rid of something old. This is just how I keep things in order and how to keep my closets from getting over filled with clothes. Another tip is to turn all of your hangers backwards. At the beginning of the year I do this, then when an article of clothing is worn and I go to hang it back up after it's laundered, I face the hanger the right direction. Then at the end of the year any hangers that are still facing backwards are the clothes I know that I didn't wear, and then I donate them.
If you're just joining in, please read last week post here, where we deep cleaned our bathrooms. You can very easily catch up if you want to. Fifteen minutes a day is pretty manageable and when you set a timer and put a little "pressure" on yourself, you can get a lot done! We're still using #2016HowJenDoesItChallenge on Instagram, if you want to see every ones progress.
You can check out this weeks video from Jen, from HowJenDoesIt, here. For the next several weeks there will be a new challenge and video from Jen for different areas of the home. This seems extremely do-able. We can do it!!
  • Monday ~ Tops. This includes, tanks, tee's, sweaters, hoodies, cardigans, workout shirts, anything that you wear on the top part of your body. Get rid of anything that you don't wear, or like or anything that's worn out and stained. If you need to, make two piles, one, for the clothes you know you don't want to keep anymore, and the second one, for anything that you're unsure about and you need to try on. Then after you're done trying on and deciding if you really like it or not, either hang it back up or put in in the donate pile.
  • Tuesday ~ Bottoms. This includes, jeans, shorts, capris, yoga pants, and workout bottoms. Keep the one's you love and that fit, and get rid of the rest. If you notice that you need a new pair of jeans and that all of yours are worn out, right it down. Then when you have a little extra money in your budget get a pair. In the video, Jen makes a list of anything that she needs to get, and I think that it's a really good idea!
  • Wednesday ~ Dresses & Skirts. I find this category the hardest, just because I love girly pretty things, I just don't wear them as often as my jeans and tee's. So getting rid of dresses and skirts are hard for me. But, I just go through and try on ALL of them and if I am not comfortable in them, or they aren't flattering, I get rid of them. I do keep my little black dresses whether I wear them often or not, because there always seems to be a time when you need one.
  • Thursday ~ Handbags, Scarves & Belts. This includes any wallets, clutches, tote bags, makeup bags, and backpacks you may have too. Just make sure you clean them out and check all the pockets before you donate them.
  • Friday ~ Shoes. Get rid of anything that you no longer wear, any that hurt your feet, and any that are in bad shape. If you notice you have 10 pairs of black flip flops, consider getting rid of a few pairs *raises hand* haha!
  • BONUS ~ Take your bags of clothes that you are getting rid of to the donation center, or call and schedule a pick up. Don't leave the bags around and let then add to the clutter, the sooner you can get the out of the house, the better :)
That's it!  It's so nice to only have things that you really love having up in the closet. It makes getting ready in the mornings so nice!

She wants this to be quick so it's not overwhelming. If you need more than 15 minutes in an area, then of course take the extra time.Next week we're going to work on our dressers and jewelry.

I am excited to continue this! Let me know if you plan on trying this too. 

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs