DIY Valentine's Day Heart Banner

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Valentine's Day is only a few days away, so today I decided to make a sweet little paper heart banner to add a little love to my fireplace. Someday I will have a mantle, so for now just pretend, like I have to do, that there's one there ;)
This was super quick and easy, and the best thing is that it was free! I already had everything I needed to make this in my craft closet. I really like how this turned out and I love that is gives just a little something sweet to my living room. You could make this just the opposite, using pink or red scrapbook paper for the big hearts and book pages for the small hearts, but I wanted mine more subtle, with just a hint of pink.
First, rip out a few pages of an old book, fold them in half, and draw half of a heart on one side. I bought an old book at a thrift store for .50 cents a long time ago just for crafting purposes.

Then cut it out and unfold your paper, tada, you made a heart! I totally felt like I was in the 2nd grade again :) Continue doing this until you get the desired number of hearts that you want. I cut out 9 total.
Next, I took a couple paint sample swatches, I had these in my craft hoard closet, free-handed a few hearts on them and cut them out. Mine did not turn out perfect, but I like it better that way. You could totally buy a heart shaped punch if you wanted to so they would be more uniform.
Then I did the same thing with some scraps of scrapbooking paper. I cut all different sizes so I could have some more variety.
When I got all the little hearts cut out, I used a permanent tape runner, like this one, to adhere all my little hearts to my book page hearts. Those little tape runners are so easy to use I always reach for them when I'm crafting. You could also use some white glue too, just use a little bit and then spread it out with your finger so it doesn't sog up the book pages.

The next thing I did was take some buttons and used some glue dots to adhere them to the little hearts. This isn't necessary, but I thought it added just a little something extra. Plus I have a huge jar of buttons that I need so do something with. I just a added a couple buttons to each heart.
The last thing I did was take some linen thread and thread it through the end of a needle and tie it off at the eye of the needle. I threaded it through each heart and at the end I cut off the needle and was done! I left a little extra thread so I could space the hearts out one I got it hung up.
Thank you for stopping by, I hope you have a great day and a very sweet Valentine's Day :)

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs