DIY Wood Coat Rack & Welcome Sign

Friday, April 1, 2016

This project has been on my to do list for almost 10 years...seriously. I don't know why it took me so long because this was a super easy DIY. I don't have a coat closet for guests so when they come over their personal items end up on the hearth, or in a pile on the floor. Well I finally fixed that. With the left over supplies I decided to make a cute Welcome Sign to hang next to my front door too.
Supplies:
1x8x8 hardwood board ~ I found mine at Home Depot 70% off original price = $2.81 (always check the clearance/remnant bins, it's perfect for projects like these)
Stain ~ Home Depot = $4.78
3 inch Chip Brush ~ Home Depot = $1.48
Polyurethane ~ Home Depot = $7.78
5 Coat Hooks ~ Lowes = $19.85 (3.97 each)
Palm Sander
Sand Paper
Rags
Cricut
Vinyl
2 inch Wood Screws
Drill
Level
Pencil
Tape Measure
Picture hanger
Hammer

Boards:
The first thing I did was have my hubby cut down the boards to the lengths I wanted. The coat rack is 28 inches long and the welcome sign is. Next I took my handy palm sander and smoothed out the boards and went around all the edges so they were nice and smooth and splinter free. Then I cleaned them up making sure they were free of any dirt or sawdust.
Next I took a cheap chip brush and the stain, I used Minwax in Dark Walnut, and evenly applied it all over the boards, going with the grain of the wood.
 I let the stain sit about 5 minutes and then I wiped off the excess stain with a rag.
I only needed one coat of stain to achieve the look I was going for, you may need to do multiple coats depending on what you like.
I let the boards dry for about 8 hours and then I applied a couple thin coats of satin polyurethane to my coat hook board and then let it dry another 24 hours. (I apply the polyurethane to the welcome sign a little later into the tutorial.)

The Coat Rack
I bought coat hooks and placed them onto the board and made a mark through the screw holes where I wanted them to go. Then I pre-drilled, just so it would be easier on me to attach the hooks once the board was hung up.
Then I found a stud in the wall, with a stud finder (best invention ever!), to screw the 1x8 into, I wanted this to be sturdy and not fall off the wall and I don't plan on moving it. It happened to work out that the screw that went into the stud, was behind a hook, so I decided to "hide" the other screws behind where a couple of the other hooks would go.
I screwed a total of 3 screws into the wall and then I screwed in the 5 coat hooks, lining them up with the pre-drilled holes I made earlier. Voila! Instant coat rack! I just love this and I'm sure my guests will appreciate it too.
The Welcome Sign
I just used my Cricut and some white vinyl to finish this project. First I cut out 6 inch letters.
Then I measured and found the middle on the board and made a small pencil mark. Starting with the C and working my way out I placed the letters as evenly as I could. You can always measure and make it exact if you want to.
I nailed a picture hanger into the back and finished with a couple clear coats of polyurethane. I used Minwax Polyurethane Satin, and I let it dry 24 hours before handling it.
I had these brick hangers and they worked perfectly to hang this sign. I just love how this turned out and it really dressed up the front of my house.
For a couple projects that were less than $40, I am pretty happy with the results! Thank you for stopping by & have a wonderful week!

7 comments:

  1. Cute! And now I can stop setting my purse down in a pile on the floor lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! LOL yes I actually made this especially for you ;)

      Delete
  2. So cute. ..love the stain color you chose,you are so crafty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy trying to be crafty and when it works out that's always a plus ;) haha!

      Delete
  3. This is one of the great benefits of the wood pallet recycling business. Another benefit of the wood pallet business is that you are the boss and you choose your own work hours. how-to-start-a-woodworking-business.s3.amazonaws.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs