5 Tips For A Stress-Free Picnic

Thursday, October 6, 2016

A couple weeks ago Alan and I drove up to Sun Valley for a little vacation. And we timed it JUST. RIGHT. It was breathtaking! It was absolutely beautiful up there. The seasons were changing and everything was crisp and bright. I wrote about or vacation here, if you'd like to read more.

While we were there we came across this gorgeous little spot on Trail Creek. Luckily for us I am always prepared for a fun little adventure and I had packed us up a picnic lunch. Fruit, crackers, wine, and homemade cheddar broccoli soup. *Thank goodness for condo's. I am spoiled and I don't hardly know how to vacation without them lol!
And don't worry those bottles weren't completely full and we had plenty of time to walk around, sight-see, and take pictures before we got back into the car.
The weather was perfect, and we had such a nice time. I was so glad that we could have some time to ourselves and enjoy some fresh mountain air. Our little picnic wasn't fancy by any means. But it was perfect for us!
Tip #1...Be prepared.
This means for rain, sun, and everything in-between. At this picnic we were right on the creek, at the edge of a meadow, on a cool, partly cloudy day. Besides the blanket that we used to sit on, I also packed another light weight throw just in case it got chilly. We lucked out and the weather stayed in the upper 60's without any wind or rain. But I knew I'd rather be prepared for cooler weather, than sit there wishing I had a blanket or umbrella. In the summer months it's a good idea to pack sunscreen and an umbrella as well, just in case your shady spot doesn't stay so shady. I also bring a eucalyptus or citronella candle to keep the bugs away.

Tip #2...Food.
A picnic isn't a picnic without food! So it's important that what you bring is something you're going to enjoy and that transports easily. I made cheddar broccoli soup, and packed up some fruit, crackers and wine. The soup traveled well and was still piping hot, and everything else sat in the basket and was easy to carry. I knew it would be a cooler day and with it being fall and us being up in the mountains, I just had to do soup. You can always bring fried chicken, it's good hot or cold. Sandwiches, wraps, anti-pasta, and salads are also great picnic foods. Don't forget the drinks. Hot cider or hot coco would be fun in the cooler months, and lemonade or sangrias in the summer.
Tip #3...Keep It Simple.
When you want to have an impromptu picnic, this usually isn't a problem. But if you're like me, and actually plan to have a picnic (even when you're on vacation), the best advice is to keep it simple. I didn't go overboard with anything. And I tried not to bring anything too unnecessary. I didn't want to stress myself out by over planning and then get upset if something didn't go as planned. Less is more. Plus it's a whole lot easier to pack and set up ;) Bring the essentials, utensils, plates, bowls, and napkins. Then if you happen to stumble across some pretty wild flowers on your way to the perfect spot, pick those babies and make a cute bouquet. 

Tip #4...Choose A Spot.
Don't just plop down by the nearest tree you see. Look around and choose an area that's beautiful. You're going to be spending some time there and if you're anything like me you'll take a few pictures haha. I look for shade, seclusion, & scenery. We were in no hurry so we actually walked around awhile before our picnic until we came across this spot. When I saw it I knew it was perfect!
Tip #5...Leave Nothing But Footprints.
Remember to clean up after yourself. If you pack it in, pack it out. Leave your picnic area the way you found it. I always bring a plastic shopping bag to put our trash in and then it's easy to just toss in the garbage. The only things that should be left behind are a few butt imprints in the grass footprints. 

And of course have fun! That is the best part of the picnic. Enjoy yourself and your company. Take selfies. Laugh. Eat. Drink.  Listen to the wind in the trees. People watch. Reminisce. Make memories. Be happy!

Thank you so much for stopping by. Have a wonderful, sweet, and happy day! Happy fall!

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs