DIY Drawer Spice Rack

Friday, June 30, 2017

Hey everyone, happy Friday! I have a huge to do list to get done before this 4th of July weekend, but here I am, talking to you guys instead :) That's ok, that list will still be there when I am done.

I have been enjoying the summer in my new house. I am finally getting around to the last of my DIY projects that I wanted to get done around here. (I am sure I will find/do more eventually, but for now, I'm all caught up!)

In my old house all of my spices were in a cabinet next to my stove. I have them on a riser but I was still constantly knocking them off and having trouble finding the ones I wanted. So when we moved into the new house, I knew I would be doing something different. I have a ton of drawers in my kitchen and I LOVE that! Right next to my stove I have the perfect drawer for spices.

For a couple months I just had them all sat in the drawer, and that was not ideal, all I could see was red lids! It wasn't convenient when searching for specific spices.

I had an idea in mind, it just took me a little while to stock up on spice jars and to find the right size of plywood. I had looked at our local big box home improvement stores but they didn't have the right thing, and the closest thing they had came in HUGE sheets.

Then out of nowhere, while I was cruising around in one of my favorite craft stores, there it was, the perfect piece of plywood, so I grabbed it and smiled all the way to the checkout. I was so excited to get home and start working on it! 

This was a fairly easy project that only took a couple hours, not including the glue drying time. I am so happy with the way it turned out and I LOVE how nice and organized my spice drawer is now.

Here's what I did...

First, measure your drawer precisely. The boards need to fit snug so they are not sliding around every time it opened and closed. Width, height, and length.
I used 2 sheets of 12x24x.25 plywood that I found at Joann Fabric's & Crafts. I used my 50% coupons and got them for $3.98 each.
I bought 32 spice jars from World Market. They are regularly .99 each, but if you catch the sales, glass storage goes on sale for 30% off. I combined that, with $10 rewards dollars I had, and got all of my jars for about $10! I measured them so I knew how tall my shelves needed to be. These measure 3.25" tall by 1.75" wide. So that told me that I needed my shelves about 4 inches tall.
Thanks to my hubby, we ripped down the two boards into 8 pieces. 4 tops and 4 risers. For my project  we cut four tops 4x15.5 inches and four risers 2x15.5. The size of my drawer holds 4 shelves. I used a palm sander and smoothed the cut edges. (Sorry I didn't get pictures of the actual cutting & sanding process.)
I dry fit them in the drawer to make sure that they were the correct size. Next, I took some wood glue and glued the risers to the tops.
 I let them dry about 12 hours and then I put then in the drawer and placed my spice jars on them. A perfect fit! 
To see the finished project, with my DIY Spice Jar Labels and how I made them, stay tuned. Here's a little sneak peek :D

2 comments:

  1. That turned out great friend! That's a really good idea, and it looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs