2018 Cleaning & Organizing Challenge Week 2 ~ Accessories

Monday, January 15, 2018

How did you go with the big clothing challenge? Hopefully your closets are nice and clean and holding your favorite things!

This week we are going to totally finish up the clothing section by organizing and decluttering accessories. This includes, handbags, wallets, jewelry, and last but not least, shoes.
Week 2 Challenge ~ Accessories 
I do this one step at a time instead of all at once. I started with my handbags and wallets and I laid them out on my bed. I have my nice Michael Kors bags, wallets, and passport wallet. I definitely love these so they aren't going anywhere. I also have my fun, sparkly Vegas crossbody, as well as my vacation crossbody and wallet. It might seen crazy but I just don't like taking my nice MK bags and wallets on vacation. Traveling on an airplane and them getting crushed under the seat doesn't sound like fun to me. Instead, I have a super functional, lightweight, crossbody that I take with me, as well as a wristlet wallet that can carry my cards, ID and phone. I love functionality.
I ended up getting rid of my black suede cylinder bag and a tiny little travel wallet that I hadn't touched in a few years.

Discard anything that is worn out, has broken, handles, or zippers. Donate/Sell anything that is still in good condition and you just don't love or use any more. Keep what you love! Clean out everything, check those pockets and if you're lucky you might find a few bucks! Treat and protect your leather bags and store them properly if you don't already.

Next up is shoes. I laid them all out on my floor, and really took a good look at what I actually wear. I gave up high heels a long time ago, so I really don't have too many to start with, I like comfort. But when they were all gathered together in one place it sure seemed like I had tons.
Discard any that are worn out, broke down, and are in bad enough condition that they can't be donated. Donate/Sell anything that hurt your feet, don't fit, you don't love anymore, or that you just don't wear. Yes, I'm talking about those six inch spikes that you bought for that one dress, five New Year's eve parties ago ;) Keep your favorites. Clean them up, it's crazy how much dust settles on them when they sit for awhile, and clean the area where they are stored.

Most of my shoes stay in my closet on a cheap little wire rack I bought 14 years ago, I'm sure there are prettier options available, but it works great so why get rid of it?!  I ended up keeping 15, which still seems like a high number, but I live in a place where we actually have all four seasons, so flip flops, and snow boots are both a must.
Alan's tiny little collection fits on a shelf. These are just his nice church shoes. He does have more haha!
Everything else is our most used/daily shoes, and they are stored in our mudroom. Right now it's mostly boots, but in the summer it'll be full of sandals.
For the jewelry, I was still storing a lot of it in little ice cube trays from when we moved! *Tip: Ice cube trays are actually the perfect little storage units for your jewelry, especially when you move. Put some Glad Press and Seal over the top and your good to go. Everything stays safe and tangle free!* The rest of my jewelry is stored in an adjustable bamboo organizer that I found at Wal-Mart, similar item.
I drug out my wall jewelry organizer that I got from Kohl's several years ago, hung it with my most favorite things in the world, Command Strips, and transferred my jewelry from the ice cube trays to it. It fits perfectly, out of sight, behind our closet door. So much better than a shoe box sitting on the shelf with the ice cube trays in it haha! *When the weather warms up I plan on spray painting it white and giving it a nice little update :) Also this pretty much just holds the jewelry I rarely wear or that's sentimental and I cannot get rid of it. Come on, those dolphins you guys lol!
You know the drill! Discard. Donate/Sell. Keep. Clean. There are several ways to clean jewelry, just make sure you research how to, and make sure you aren't using anything that might scratch or corrode the stones and metal.

*Extra Credit ~ Declutter, organize and clean the rest of the shoes in your house.

Good luck this week! Hopefully you're having fun and staying motivated!

Have a sweet and beautiful day!

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs